Court Funds

Pursuant to Section 2601 of the New York Civil Practice Laws and Rules, all funds and securities paid into court are delivered to the custody of the Commissioner of Finance of Westchester County. This includes funds and securities paid to the County Court, Surrogate Court and Supreme Court. The Department of Finance holds cash deposits for civil cases, appeals, surplus funds, and municipalities when cases are transferred to the County Court. A court order directs the finance department to hold the funds until another court order is received instructing the department to release the funds - plus interest, less fees.

Required documents for deposit of funds 
The above court ordered payments must be accompanied by the following documentation:

  • An order signed by the court directing the Finance Commissioner to deposit the funds until such time as directed by the court to release the funds, plus interest, less fees. If a foreclosure judgment, a copy of the Referee’s Report of Sale is also required.
  • A W9 or a letter from the attorney on his or her letterhead stating the name of the owner of the funds to be deposited, last known address, and the Federal ID number or Social Security number. There are no exceptions.
  • A check made out to the Commissioner of Finance, Westchester County for the amount ordered by the court.

Required documents for return of funds
Prior to release of court held funds, the following documents must be received by the Commissioner of Finance:

  • An original certified court order ordering the Commissioner of Finance of Westchester County to release the funds, plus interest, less fees.
  • A W-9 form with the name and address of the party who will receive the funds.
  • A cover letter stating whether the funds are to be mailed or picked up.

These documents may be mailed or delivered to:

Commissioner of Finance
Westchester County
148 Martine Avenue,  Room 726
White Plains, NY 10601
Attn: Court & Trust Funds

Faxed or e-mailed documents are not accepted.

Certificate of Money on Deposit
This is a document provided by the Westchester County Finance Department that summarizes an updated total of money currently held for the Court and Trust. The certificate shows the exact sum of money, including interest, currently in the claimant’s account.

As part of a legal action for withdrawal, a claimant or claimant’s attorney may request a Certificate of Money on Deposit with the Commissioner of Finance. The Certificate of Money on Deposit may be presented to the court as part of the withdrawal process.

A written request for the certificate is required, addressed to the Commissioner of Finance of Westchester County stating the title of the case, the Index Number, the name and address of the person requesting the certificate, and a check or money order for $1.00, payable to the "Commissioner of Finance of Westchester County." 

Send the request to:

Westchester County Finance Department
148 Martine Avenue, Rm 726
White Plains, New York 10601
Attn: Court & Trust Funds 

Also specify whether the certificate is to be mailed or will be picked up by the claimant or claimant’s attorney. E-mailed or faxed requests are not accepted.