Certificate of Residence
Westchester County residents may obtain a College Certificate of Residence to reduce tuition costs while attending a two-year SUNY/CUNY college outside of Westchester County.
- Any student who is a resident of Westchester County must prove residency and meet the guidelines required by the New York State Education Department.
- A post office box address or envelope addressed to you do not qualify as proof of residence.
- Students have a period of 90 days - 60 days before the semester starts and 30 days after - to apply for a College Certificate of Residence.
- Late applications will NOT be accepted; they will be denied.
- Once issued, the certificate is valid for one year unless unusual circumstances exist, such as moving in or out of the county during the school year.
- Bring your Certificate of Residence to the college at the time of your registration for courses.
College Certificate of Residence packet
Follow the steps below to ensure smooth processing of your certificate:
- Download and print the instructions, application, and the Guardian Form if needed.
- The application must be completed, signed and notarized. Please use complete words in your application (this is not a text message).
- Complete and sign the forms in ink. Please submit legible applications and legible supporting documents.
- All required documents must be attached to the application when submitted via US Mail.
- If information is missing on the application or documents are not attached, your Certificate of Residence request will be delayed.
- Applications must be submitted by mail only per the instructions.
- Do not visit the office. No walk-ins, no entrance to the office will be permitted.
Westchester County Finance Department
148 Martine Ave., Room 724 Cert
College Certificates of Residence
White Plains, New York 10601
Please remember that no walk-ins will be permitted.
If you have further questions, you may call (914) 995-5006 or e-mail